Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sad Day



Well I don't know how to really start this blog except to say that Beau got hurt. I got a call from Jens on Friday saying that Beau was in the hospital. I thought he was kidding me. It probably took a good two or three minutes before I believed him. I mean, nobody who has a husband or loved one working construction wants to recieve a phone call like that. So I immediatly burst into tears and rushed to the insta-care in Layton. Thank goodness for Jen because I was a wreck and she just talked to me the entire way. I had no idea what exactly had happened to Beau or if he was going to be really ok. When I got there the first thing Beau said to me was "well, it looks as if I don't have regenerative abilities" I just started crying again. I was so worried about him! It turns out the gaurd on the skill saw stuck and Beau reached down to move the cord of the saw and it sliced through the major tendon in his thumb and knicked the bone. There was nerve damage in two of his fingers and he took a good chunck out of the tendon he cut. The special hand doctor was able to pull the tendon back together and sew him up but we go back in for a post-op on Tuesday. The tendon will take 6-8 weeks to heal and then he has to start therapy to retrieve full mobility back in his hand.



It is so hard for me to see him not be able to do all the things he wants to do like drive, button a shirt, wash his hair, swim in the swim meet next week, go ice climbing, etc.
He did however tie his own tie for church by using his right hand and his mouth, I was so proud. Our new years resolution is to not go to the insta-care at all next year because between the two of us, I've never been there so many times in my life! I am not sure what the lesson is that we need to learn from this one but...I guess it all comes with time.

7 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh, my poor little Beau-Beau. (Although, he isn't so little anymore!) I was so sad when I heard the news from Dad. I hope he is doing all righ! Amanda, I am so happy that you are there to take good care of him. I wish I could be there to help out. Let me know if you need anything. And, that is a good goal: no more trips to the instacare! Love you guys!

Jamie said...

I just looked at the pictures again and. . . is Beau "high" on those drugs in his hand in the first picture? ha ha. He does look very relaxed, though. :D

2-Fold said...

I am so sorry you had to hear the wonderful news from Jens. Let's just say he isn't the person I like to hear bad news from. No offense Jens. It's funny how life throws you curve balls, just when you think everything is finally going good. We love ya

Anonymous said...

Beau, We are so sorry to hear about your accident. Get all of the bad things over with your first year and then it will be smooth sailing from then on.
Take care of each other.

Anonymous said...

Beau, I think you were just jealous. Just kidding! We can be high on our medicine together. I was sorry to hear about the accident though. I hope all goes well with recovery and let us know what we can do to help. Even though I have to gimp around, I can still help. Let us know. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

I always panic when I hear about any of my children being hurt, but especially Beau. I'm so glad you're there to look after him. It's hard as a mom to let go. I think he'll recover fine. You guys keep your spirits up and have faith that your life together is progressing as it should.

Kristin Garrett said...

Yikers! That doesn't sound like fun... I dread those calls too, but have yet to have one... except for on the odd job when Brad was working at Fresenius, he sliced his leg on a jagged piece of metal on a door frame! Well, Beau, I hope you get better soon and gain full mobility of your hand!