Thursday, December 8, 2011

survival mode

Well, we did it, we survived one whole week with two kids. I like to refer to this week as "hell week" you know, like the first week of football practice/sports practice.  Did anyone have to experience that?  In tennis we never did because we were bossy girls that didn't want to but, I sure heard about it with other sports. Anyway, We got home from the hospital on a Monday and Tuesday night Beau had to take Gracie into the emergency room because of high fevers and pain in her ears. She had another serious ear infection so when she came home you can bet she was extra clingy. I felt so bad because she wanted to be held but on Wednesday my milk came in so holding a very squirmy two year old was basically torture. Beau had to go back to work and school, my sister had to go home, and so I was left alone. On Thursday Gracie's fever finally went away and was replaced by a horrible stuffy nose and chest congestion. Also, the honeymoon period of enjoying her little sister ended quickly when she realized that this baby was not going away but staying here with mom and her. That put a little wrench in her every day plans. I have been trying to be a good mom and spend time with her and the baby but, I have not felt well. Gracie has learned to love her time out chair and she frequents it often during the day. I am grateful for an amazing husband who helps me every chance he gets. My biggest blessing of all though is the perfect baby girl that we were blessed with. Evie is a dream come true.  When Gracie was a baby she was a terrible napper during the day but, she did sleep through the night very early. Also, when she was awake she was crying. Grace never, ever just sat and looked around.  Evie is the exact opposite. She is an amazing eater, an even more amazing sleeper, and if she is awake (unless she has a bubble) she will just sit and stare for an hour. She is so mellow. Even her cry is mellow. I keep knocking on wood and waiting for the other shoe to drop because she truly is too good to be true. I think that God blessed us with a mellow baby so that I would be sane enough to take care of Gracie at the same time. One of them surely would get neglected if she was any other way (and you can bet which one that would be, poor baby).  So we have survived and I am slowly and finally starting to really heal. I am learning to survive on little sleep again and realizing that doing the best I can may mean not doing much at all but, as long as my girls are taken care of I'm fine.  I just found out I have thrush again (ugh) which makes nursing basically a nightmare but, Beau brought home some coconut oil and I can feel it working already. Natural remedies are the best. School is almost over for Beau (only one more day of classes!) and I can't even tell you how excited I am! It will be so nice to have him home until 8:30 in the mornings. I love living so close to his job.We are moving Gracie into her big girl bed tomorrow, mainly so when she wakes up from her nap if I'm nursing she can get herself out of bed but, it's time. I will post pictures as soon as that happens.  Oh, and we got to bathe the baby for the first time. She hated it. hahaha. Poor thing. She does not like being cold in any way, shape, or form. It's very different from her sister who was a hot body all the time. Gracie didn't like scrunching up her legs and being wrapped in blankets where Evie just wants to be held close, in warm jammies, and snuggled under blankets. She is a dream truly.  



3 comments:

Lacie said...

You can totally tell she belongs. Love her already. Glad things are going well.

Jen Carter said...

I'm not gonna lie....The thought of doing the brand new baby thing with no sleep and "surviving" is terrifying me. I know it's all worth it in the end but I wouldn't say I'm exactly looking forward to that part again. It's nice to hear I'm not alone in that. Sounds like you are getting the hang of it! Good luck!

Mechel said...

Evie is a beautiful baby. Just enjoy both of them, anything else can wait until later. You'll never regret time spent with your little ones, but you will regret not spending time with them.