Monday, November 12, 2007

Infectious mononucleosis

Well our week has been quite interesting. All the first part of last week I was complaining about a really bad pain in my left tonsil. It hurt so bad! Wednesday night Beau took my temperature and it was 102. I was so tired and in pain. Thursday morning I woke up and both my tonsils were swollen and covered in white. Beau took me to the insta care and the first doctor I saw didn't even look in my throat, gave me a very expensive generic antibiotic, and sent me on my way. By Friday I was getting even worse. I couldn't swallow, my head hurt, it was hard to breathe, and my fever STILL hadn't gone down! What was wrong with me. So Saturday morning I put my foot down and we went back to the insta care for another visit. I was so miserable at this point. We got to see Doctor Brown this time. I sure do love him. He was so great. He did another throat culture and took five tubes of blood out of me. Turns out I have a viral throat infection and mononucleosis. I contracted the throat infection because my body was already infected with the mono and it just made me very suseptable to other diseases. So I am tired all the time and very contagious. Luckily this doctor gave me a steroid to help with my throat and an antibiotic to kill any other bacteria that may be swimming in my body. Here is the depressing part, I have to withdraw from school this semester. I will be missing too much school with the mono as it is and I don't want to infect the entire student body with whatever it is I may have AND I dont' want them infecting me! So here is a little blurb on Mono. I guess I have it pretty bad. Oh and don't worry Beau and I haven't been kissing so he doesn't have it. So now I have to go to sleep. I swear it is the weirdest thing, I fall asleep for five hours and then I am awake for two and then back asleep for five. I can't help it. Even in the middle of the night I wake up and then fall back asleep. I HATE IT!


Infectious mononucleosis, (also known as the kissing disease, or Pfeiffer's disease, in North America as mono and more commonly known as glandular fever in other English-speaking countries) is seen most commonly in adolescents and young adults, characterized in teenagers by fever, sore throat, muscle soreness, and fatigue. Around 90% of people will aquire the virus even if they exhibit no symptoms. Mononucleosis typically produces a very mild illness in small children, but is typically asymptomatic. Mononucleosis is usually caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV), which infects B cells (B-lymphocytes), producing a reactive lymphocytosis and atypical T cells (T-lymphocytes) known as Downey bodies.

Mononucleosis is typically transmitted from asymptomatic individuals through saliva (hence "the kissing disease"), or by sharing a drink, or sharing eating utensils. It may also be transmitted through blood. The disease is far less contagious than is commonly thought. Mono is not spread through the air. You can live in the same house with a person and never acquire the virus. In rare cases a person may have a high resistance to infection.[citation needed] The disease is so-named because the count of mononuclear leukocytes (white blood cells with a one-lobed nucleus) rises significantly. There are two main types of mononuclear leukocytes: monocytes and lymphocytes. They normally account for about 35% of all white blood cells. With infectious mononucleosis, this can rise to 50-70%. Also, the total white blood count may increase to 10,000-20,000 per cubic millimeter

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear that. It is so miserable. When I had mono, I ended up with strep throat at the same time. My bed time turned into 10 after I got mono. I never thought I would stop sleeping. I finally have a little bit, but I still get tire more easily. It is completely miserable. I am sorry to hear about school too. That has to be so hard especially when you have already put in so much work. I hope you get feeling better. If you need anything like some soup for dinner or something, let me know. I would love to help you. We love ya!

2-Fold said...

Amanda,
That is so sad. I am so sorry. Life is definitely fustrating for you right now. I know it will be hard, but try to keep that positive attitude of yours and maybe you will start to feel better faster. We love ya and are here for you let us know if you need ANYTHING at all.

Matt & Emily said...

Wow, that sounds so bad, I hope you get better soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you've had to withdraw from school. When bad things keep happening, Jim and I always say to each other, "As long as we have each other, it'll be all right!" Keep that in mind. The Lord will lift you through your trials, just don't lose faith.

Jamie said...

I'm so sorry you are so sick and that you had to withdraw from school. I hope you get better soon! Please know we are thinking of you way out here. . .

Charlotte Johnson said...

I''m Charlotte Johnson,65  years old, Here in Edmonton, Canada. With the new herbal mix medicine I purchased from Dr James herbal mix medicine West Africa  was my only way to get rid of my Alzheimer's, the herbal  mix medicine effectively reversed my condition and alleviate all symptoms.  I was initially very hesitant to discuss my Alzheimer but I just hope it can still help someone. I feel this will be very important information for all Alzheimer patients, because the most violent element in society today is ignorance. Be it any condition, a healthy diet and natural herbs and roots medicine from Dr. James is the road to fast recovery. I had suffered Alzheimer for many years, I fought for proper medical recommendation, care  and all form of humane treatment with little improvement I went through many sleepless nights and periods of intense grief, as do most families. I was recommended by a friend to use Dr. James herbal mix medicine for my Alzheimer with high hope and assurance. I never doubted my friend but to contact Dr. James. And purchased His herbal mix medicine which was effective and I finally feel my Alzheimer is gone with no more symptoms. He also told me that he cures diseases such as  Lungs diseases, kidney diseases, Warts, Bipolar disorder, Shingles,  HPV, ALS, CANCER, NEPHROTIC SYNDROME, HIV / AIDS, Herpes virus, Ovarian Cancer, Pancreatic cancers, bladder cancer, prostate cancer, Glaucoma., Cataracts, Macular degeneration, Cardiovascular disease, Autism. Enlarged prostate, Osteoporosis. Alzheimer's disease, psoriasis, Tach Diseases, Lupus, Backache, dementia, skin cancer,.testicular Cancer, Leukemia, HEPATITIS A, B, C, Contact  the great one on his email    greatcureman@gmail.com
Info @ drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com