Wednesday, July 8, 2009

oh the joys of being a Gibbs :D



Man we have had the craziest 11 days of my life! Well probably not of my life but they have been super insane. It started off on June 27th when Beau and I were driving up for our fun filled vacation. We left home about 7:30am so we could get on the road before the heat was too unbearable. I had stayed up way too late the night before at our Relief Society sleep-over so once I was in the car I fell asleep. I hadn't been asleep for what seemed like too long when I heard a horn honk and I was jerked awake by Beau screaming "the car is on fire!" What? I didn't even know where we were. So Beau immediately pulled over and I yelled "what do I do?" I apparently am not a very logical thinker in an event of a fire. So Beau tells me to call 9-1-1 and so I run as far away from the car as possible and call the police. Keep in mind I have no idea where we are so having me talk to the police was probably not the best idea but they found us. Meanwhile Beau is like superman throwing everything we own on the side of the road. We had planned to be gone for 11 days so we had tons of stuff INCLUDING a tiller and a gas can we were returning, a pinata for the fourth of July, and a log that Beau was going to turn into a shelf. Right after we called the police we decided to call Beau's parents just so they knew that if we weren't there in a couple of hours this was why. They are so wonderful and volunteered to come get us. We love them and all the support they give us! Thanks mom and dad! Oh as a side note, while I am talking to Jamie and Beau's parents and freaking out because Beau is reaching in a burning car to get our stuff, Jamie asks "are you taking any pictures?" haha next time Jamie, I will get the camera out for you :D
The fire soon was dying down and the police man showed up. He didn't have a fire extinguisher and didn't know how to help us so he called the fire department and then...left. Seriously here we are on the side of the road as the cop just pulls away. Right after he left the flames were reaching up both sides of the car. My first instinct was to pray so we said a prayer of thanks that we were safe and then we continued moving our stuff as far away from the car as possible. The fireman showed up and eventually got the fire out to where it was safe to load on a wrecker. Those fireman were the nicest guys ever. They were talking to us and making sure we were okay and even joking with us. They helped us load all our stuff in the tow truck and sent us on our way. While driving to the tow yard the car started on fire AGAIN and the so at the tow yard they had to spray it down. Literally when we got back to Beaver Utah they dumped us on the side of the road with all our stuff, closed up shop, and left....ok....so...what do we do now? So, knowing that Beau's parents were a couple of hours away and knowing that I was hot, dehydrated, and starving my wonderful husband set up a little place for me to sit and eat the raspberries we had in the car while we decided what to do next.
Luckily we are blessed to have wonderful friends. I called Janece and she was willing to drive to Beaver but she has her baby and I just didn't know what we would do if we were back in Cedar without transportation so, we called Lacie and Tayce. We are so grateful for the wonderful friendship we have with them and the wonderful people they are. Lacie is so gracious all the time and so willing to help wherever help is needed. They drove to Beaver and took us to lunch while we waited for Beau's parents. We had so much fun and they turned a very bad situation into something we could laugh about. We love you guys!






Eventually Beau's parents came and we were able to load up our stuff, say our goodbyes, and safely make it to Ogden. We pulled into home at about..5:30 I think. So...needless to say my pregnant self was about done for the day. I just want to say that Beau and I are so blessed to have people in our lives that are willing to help us in our time of need. It is so comforting to know that no matter what, we have someone to turn to. Whether it be our parents, siblings, or friends. We love you guys!








5 comments:

jess said...

oh my goodness! i'm glad you're o.k. i admit i was laughing but it will all work out, right? ;D love you!

jess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jess said...

civi is supposed to catch on fire, not yours! God must have mixed our prayers up on accident. sorry... i ruin everything for everyone all the time. you should never have been friends with me, it wouldn't have been confused if we weren't such good friends.

Kurt and Jasmine said...

Wow that's a crazy story! Glad that you and all of your stuff was able to get out. That's one you will be talking about for ever!

Lacie said...

Thanks for thinking I am so great. You two are great. Hope you have a great week.